Sharepoint is a web-based collaborative platform that integrates natively with Microsoft 365. You can use Sharepoint on your computer or mobile device to securely upload and edit files online.
By integrating your Bynder portal and Sharepoint, you can seamlessly connect assets between the two by automatically moving assets from your Sharepoint account to Bynder without downloading from Sharepoint and re-uploading to Bynder. Non-Bynder users can add assets to a folder in Sharepoint to have them automatically uploaded to your DAM.
You can learn how to leverage metaproperty permissions to manage visibility, control access rights, or create an approval workflow here before setting up the Sharepoint Integration.
How to enable the Sharepoint Integration
Contact your Customer Success Manager to learn more about enabling this integration and any associated costs.
- Navigate to Settings > Advanced settings> Portal settings.
- Click Browse Integrations in the left sidebar, then Configure in the Sharepoint section.
- Enter a Name for this configuration.
- If you've already configured a Bynder connection, it will be selected. If not, select New Authentication to add your Bynder credentials:
- Your authentication name: Enter a name for the authentication.
- Domain: Enter your unique domain by copying the URL of your Bynder portal (including https://).
- Click Create, then Next.
- Click Grant access to Box to confirm you agree to grant Tray.IO access to complete the Sharepoint integration.
- Tray.io is an API integration platform that connects Sharepoint and Bynder.
- Select New Authentication to add your Sharepoint credentials, then click Create. You'll need to create and Register an App in Azure to obtain the Tenant ID, Client ID, and Client Secret for the Authentication modal. Follow the steps here.
- Once you have registered the App in Azure, you can Paste the Tenant ID, Client ID, and Client Secret on the Authentication Modal for SharePoint.
- Choose the Site
- Select the Document library
- Click Select Sync Folder to choose which folder you want to sync with Bynder.
- All assets uploaded to this folder will automatically be uploaded to the Bynder Asset Bank, bypassing the Waiting Room.
Include Sub-folders: You can choose whether sub-folders in the selected folder will sync to Bynder.
- Check the box if you want assets in the sub-folders to be synced to Bynder.
- Leave the box unchecked if only assets uploaded to the folder selected should be uploaded to Bynder.
Large folder structures will slow the total time to synchronize assets from SharePoint.
If your folder structure is large, consider creating multiple Sharepoint connections for specific sub-folders within the main folder.
Metadata Mapping: You can automatically add specific metaproperty values to all assets synced from Box. For example, you can set a Source metaproperty to be Sharepoint for all assets uploaded via the integration.
- Click Choose an option under Bynder Metaproperty and select a field from the dropdown.
- In the Value section, enter the option that the synced assets should be tagged with.
- Click Add a new mapping to add additional metaproperties.
- You can type “This is a custom value.”
- Some fields are not supported: unknownFutureValue, multiterm, user, thumbnail, term.
- 'Sharepoint' and the Sharepoint file ID will be added to the keyword tags, and a link to the synced Sharepoint folder will be added to the Description.
- Click Next, review the information, then click Finish.
Note: Any supported file types can be added to your portal.
Register an App in Azure
- Navigate to the Azure portal.
- Under the Azure service section, click App Registrations > New Registration.
- A pop-up window will appear: Register an Application. Fill in all the details about your application.
- In the Redirect URL field, add https://auth.tray.io/oauth2/token.
- Click Register.
- Once the app registration is complete, you can view the Client ID, and Tenant ID, New Client Secret in the Overview Section.
- Client Secret can be found in the left-side bar under Certificates & Secrets.
- Copy and paste all IDs into your authentication modal.
- Under Add a client Secret, enter the Description and select Expires Date from the dropdown options.
- Click Add.
- Under Client Secrets, copy and paste the client secret into your Tray.io authentication modal.
- To grant proper permission to your Sharepoint account, you need to permit two APIs. One is Files.Read.All, and the second is Sites.Read.All.
- Navigate to API Permission and click Add Permissions.
- Select Microsoft Graph API > Application Permissions> Site Read All> Files Read All and add permission.
- Click Add Permissions.
- Under Sites Read All and Files Read All, select Grant Admin Consent to grant consent.
How to Use the Integration
After configuration, all selected assets in your Sharepoint account will upload to your portal’s Asset Bank after 2 hours. Moving forward, any assets added or moved to the selected folder (or sub-folders) in the configured Sharepoint account will automatically be uploaded to the Asset Bank after about 2 hours.
If you delete an asset from your Sharepoint account, it will not automatically be removed from your Bynder DAM. If you delete a Sharepoint asset from your Bynder DAM, it will remain in your Sharepoint account.
If you would like an additional synced SharePoint folder, you will need to configure another SharePoint workflow.
Edit the Integration
If you would like to turn off the integration, update your synced folder, or edit your Sharepoint credentials, you can edit the configuration.
Navigate to Settings >Advanced settings >Portal settings.
Click Active Integrations in the left sidebar, then Edit in the section of the connection that you would like to update.
Make your changes, then click Save.
Which file types are supported?
Any supported file type can be added to your portal.
What happens to the asset if I delete it from my Bynder portal (or vice versa)?
If you delete an asset from your Bynder portal, the asset will remain in your Sharepoint account, and if you delete an asset from your Sharepoint account, it will remain in your Bynder portal.
Does the integration support versions?
At this time, it does not support versioning.
Once assets are added to my synced Sharepoint folder, how long will it take to see them in Bynder?
The updates will run at a 2-hour interval, so every 2 hours, your Sharepoint assets will be pushed to your Bynder portal. This applies only to new assets in the selected Sharepoint folder.
Is a specific Sharepoint account type required for the integration?
No, any account type will work for the integration.
What if we have multiple Sharepoint folders that we want to sync?
You can choose to also sync all sub-folders within a selected Sharepoint folder. If you’d like to sync a different folder, it will need to be configured and connected.