We all know that taxonomy is the backbone of the Bynder DAM. Now with the new Taxonomy Management, your Bynder DAM's taxonomy will be easier and quicker to set up and maintain, with a more user-friendly interface. While a few of the terms and functionality, such as metaproperties and options, are the same in the new taxonomy, we’ve also renamed and introduced new functionality as well. This comparison guide will outline some of the similarities and differences between the legacy and new taxonomy management.
Here’s a quick check to see if you are on the legacy or new taxonomy. Navigate to Settings > Taxonomy > Metaproperties management, and if you see the following interface, the new taxonomy is enabled in your portal. If not, you’re on the legacy version.
Metaproperties and metaproperty options
We’ve reduced the number of settings to make setup and configuration easier. A preview has been introduced for clarity. More information on the metaproperty settings can be found here.
Learn more about creating metaproperties here.
Metaproperty Name & Label
Rather than entering the database name and the label, in the new taxonomy, you only need to enter the label. You’ll still be able to access the database name in the metaproperty or option details, if necessary.
Learn more here.
In the new taxonomy, you will still be able to create metaproperties that display as a picklist, dropdown, text, or date, although the names for these types have been updated to Single, Multi-select, Text, and Date.
Specific updates may be found below:
- Select: We’ve replaced the Select type with the single and multi select metaproperty types.
- Autocomplete: For single and multi select metaproperty types, you can now enable the autocomplete search and add new options settings.
- Text & long text: We’ve consolidated text and long text into one text metaproperty type.
- Sidebar: Deprecated.
- Date: Still available in the new taxonomy as the date metaproperty type.
- Linked assets: This needs to be configured by Bynder, so please reach out to your Customer Success Manager.
- Brand store categories: Deprecated.
- Knowledge: Deprecated.
- Button: Deprecated.
- Workflow job: This needs to be configured by Bynder, so please reach out to your Customer Success Manager.
- Select2: We’ve replaced the select2 metaproperty type with the setting autocomplete search, which can be enabled for the new single and multi select metaproperty types.
More details on the new metaproperty types can be found here.
Hide Metaproperties & Visibility
In the new taxonomy, you can still hide metaproperties in the upload, edit, or asset detail screens from certain users, groups, or permission profiles in the new Visibility section. This replaces the Hide Metaproperty section. This prevents those users from seeing metaproperties that aren’t relevant to them.
Learn more about metaproperty visibility here.
Metaproperty option based permissions & Access Rights
You can still manage the visibility of your assets at the metaproperty option level, now called Access Rights. There have been no changes to this page.
Learn more about setting permissions on a metaproperty option level here.
Language Labels vs Translations
You can still add the language labels, now renamed to translations, for the metaproperties and options, if enabled in your portal.
Z-index vs Drag & Drop Ordering
With the new taxonomy, you’ll be able to drag and drop the metaproperties and options into the appropriate order, rather than needing to enter a number into the z-index.
You can also easily sort the options alphabetically (replacing order options by label or z-index) and pin certain options to the top of the list.
Learn more about ordering metaproperty options here.
Admin can now delete metaproperties in addition to metaproperty options.
Learn more about deleting metaproperties here.
Show metaproperties in list and grid views
We’ve created a new screen for displaying metaproperties in the list and grid views of the Asset Bank.
Learn more here.
Dependencies & Custom Triggers vs Automations
We’ve consolidated the dependencies and custom triggers into one new feature called automations. Automations allow you to create ‘if/then’ statements, which result in different events. You can create dependent fields (replacing dependencies), make assets downloadable or non-downloadable (replacing custom triggers), prefill or empty text metaproperties (replacing custom triggers), or mark assets as watermark, archive, or limited usage (replacing custom triggers).
Previously with custom triggers, a best practice was to create a trigger for the opposite action (for example, if someone were to deselect a metaproperty option), but this is no longer necessary.
Important information about automations
All dependencies and triggers from the legacy taxonomy will be migrated to automations once you’ve been upgraded. Each automation that you set up will appear in the automations section for all metaproperties included in that automation. This will allow you to more easily see which metaproperties and options are affected by specific automations and troubleshoot when necessary.
For example, if you set up a dependency automation so that the Asset Sub-Type of Stock appears when a user selects the Asset Type of Images or Videos, this automation will display for both Asset Type and the Asset Sub-Type. In the legacy taxonomy, this dependency would only display in the dependencies section for the Asset Sub-type of Stock metaproperty option.
Asset Type automation:
Asset Sub-Type automation:
Legacy Asset Sub-Type of Stock dependency:
Learn more about automations here.
At this time, the process for creating smartfilters is still the same, however we have migrated a few settings, such as the empty options in filter and multi filter settings, to the smartfilters management page.
Learn more about smartfilters management here.
There has been no change to the tags management page at this time.
Learn more about managing your tags here.
Additional features and settings
The following features and settings are not currently available in the new taxonomy, although we are planning to add them in the future:
- Metadata tag
- Write metadata to namespace
- Metaproperty children
- Images & icons for metaproperty options
The following features are deprecated:
- Selectable metaproperty options: All options are selectable by default.
- Properties of this property in metaproperty options.
Legacy Metaproperty Settings
Please see below for an overview of the legacy metaproperty settings:
- Multiselect: The multiselect setting has been replaced with the multi select metaproperty type.
- Multi filter: The multifilter setting has been moved to smartfilter management.
- Editable: This setting is deprecated as all metaproperties are now editable by default.
- Filterable: This setting is deprecated as all metaproperties can be added as a smartfilter by default.
- Apifield: This setting is deprecated as all metaproperties can now be called by the API by default.
- Display field: This setting is deprecated as all metaproperties will display in the upload and edit screens, as long as a user has metaproperty visibility.
- Required: You can make metaproperties required in the Configuration section.
- Main filter: Deprecated.
- Drilldown result: This is currently planned to be added in the new taxonomy management.
- Hidden filter: The hidden filter setting has been replaced with the hide from configuration setting.
- Use dependencies: Deprecated.
- Empty options in filter: This setting has been moved to smartfilter management.
- Export field: This is currently planned to be added in the new taxonomy management.
- Hide public: This can now be managed under the Visibility section.
- Show in list view: This setting has been moved to a new Asset bank views page.
- Show in grid view: This setting has been moved to a new Asset bank views page.
- Show in duplicate view: Deprecated.
- Hide options without dependencies: Deprecated.
- Add as section in the spotlight search: Deprecated.
- Metaproperties and Options: Manage Metaproperties
- Metaproperties and Options: Manage Metaproperty Options
- Metaproperties and Options: Metaproperty Visibility
- Taxonomy Configuration
- Taxonomy Automations
- Metaproperties in Asset Bank List & Grid Views
- Set Permissions on a Metaproperty Option Level
- Smartfilter Management
- Tags Management